Home » News » Business »  KBL re-launches Kick Start programme

KBL re-launches Kick Start programme

Publishing Date : 20 May, 2019

Author : KENNETH MOSEKIEMANG

Kgalagadi Breweries Limited (KBL) a unit of Sechaba Holdings has this week re-launched Kick Start programme nearly four years after it stopped in 2015 due to financial constraints.


Through the programme, 15 successful upcoming and existing entrepreneurs specifically the youth will receive a grant of up to P200, 000 each from tune of P2million and thus will also include business coaching, monitoring and mentorship for 12 months. Minister of Investment, Trade & Industry, Bogolo Kenewendo who was officiating the event said government have been working on the three apex model at the ministry, and one of them is on SMME development. She said government have been drastically looking for foreign investments which will help in SMME developments, one sector which both locally and internationally are the engines of growth.


The youthful minister said the Kick Start programme will help government efforts in helping to achieve a goal of reducing poverty alleviation and also high unemployment rate specifically the youth. “For 11 years, the Kick Start has trained 300 young people, which is about 27 per annum and there were 75 young people who were funded and this was an average of about a tune of P1.5 million per annum used,” said Kenewendo.


She said KBL is working on an awareness campaign in which its aim is to reach all corners of the country for potential young entrepreneurs to benefit from the program. KBL Corporate Affairs Manager Masegonyana Madisa said the program will attract more than 30 000 applications hence this year they have introduced online submissions through which applicants will submit using the website specially created for the programme.


“The judges will select only 50 successful applications, because we want the best, the best only. They will be taken for training so that they can be able to draw a comprehensive business plan,” he shared. Madisa further said the top 50 applicants will be given a month in order for them to be able to implement their business ideas. According to Madisa, adjudicators will be  brought to conduct interviews in which applicants will have to show why they should be given the grant.  Then a recommendation will be done to the board which will then award the grants to the top 15 successful entrepreneurs.


He said this year, 60 percent of beneficiaries will be female whilr the remaining 40 percent will be male as a gesture towards women empowerment. Madisa said the winners of this will receive 12 months mentorship in which they will be trained in areas of business management and other areas needed to run the business.


One of the beneficiaries of Kick Start program and also the Ambassador Wapula Matshambane who is the founding director of Footprints Africa Safaris said her company is known internationally as she works with diplomatic protocols and currently working with international companies through the help of Kick Start.


 She said her company usually represents the country on international meetings for the presidential states visits, as her company is given the tender to provide the services for such visits. “I edge the entire potential young entrepreneurs to take it serious, to give back to the community hence adding value to the GDP of the country. As a tourism and hospitality industry we bring tourists thus creating employment,” she noted.

Cartoon

Polls

Do you think the courts will help put the UDC, BMD impasse within reasonable time ahead of the 2019 General Election?

banner_14.jpg
banner_12.jpg

POPULER BRANDS